Monday, May 18, 2009

Trip to the Gem and Jewelry Show


cabs
Originally uploaded by magscrafts
I went on Friday to the Gem and Jewelry Show at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Virginia. Let me say, thank God for my GPS! Even when I was less than 100 yards from the place I still did not recognize it. Anyway, determined that I would not drive all the way to Virginia and then not find the show, I drove around a bit and eventually found my destination.

There was a surprisingly large crowd for noon on a Friday. I think most people were shopping for the finished jewelry which made up the bulk of the show. I was looking for beads, cabochons and other supplies. I bought a few strands of pearls, but mostly I bought cabochons to use now that I am learning how to make settings. I bought an assortment of sizes, which is a good thing because Tara mentioned the other day that I should start out setting bigger ones for less frustration. I bought a couple of different sizes of turquoise, some small garnets and carnelian cabs, assorted round labradorite cabs, agates in assorted colors and shapes, and something that is labeled marium, which seems to be more commonly known as elephant jasper.

Now I need to go practice with my torch so I can get these things set once my silver order arrives!

1 comment:

Tara Beaulieu said...

go you, can't wait to see your first creation! :)